The Caulder Kids -- Daily Life In The Caulder House :)

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Do I have to?

Today, Dylan went to the eye doctor. He did real well. The doctor's assistant said that she wished all of her 6 year olds did so good.

I asked the girl when I made Dylan's appointment, if they would be using the eye drops to dilate his eyes. She told me no, that the doctor would have to exam him first. Well we get there today and they did a couple of different things then the doctor said they would be using the drops. He got scared. I felt so sorry for him but I knew it had to be done. While the doctor was out of the room he asked me if he could do the drops and of course I had to tell him no. The doctor told him that the first drop was like pool water and the second drop was like rain water, and when her assistant put the drops in to count to 5 and his eye would feel better. Well, she dropped the first drop and Dylan counted 1,2,3,4,5 faster than he ever has. She was ready to do the other eye and he said in his "out of breath voice" "give me just a minute". (Dylan can not stand eye drops.) He counted just as fast after the second and third drops. When she got to the fourth drop, Dylan said real quick "3". The assistant and I both laughed. Then she asked him how he got to three so fast. He was in such a hurry for his eye to feel better he forgot 1 & 2. That might not seem funny just reading it, but I had to share that, cause I thought it was funny.

Anyway, The doctor said that right now he has 20/20 vision. He has a touch of nearsightedness. But that he was fine, and he doesn't have to go back for a couple of years. I told her how he has been squinting and rubbing his eyes. I had also listed on his medical history sheet about his allergies. She said that the squinting and rubbing is more than likely coming from his allergies, and prescribed him some eye drops for it.

I know now that I need my eyes checked. I was half way of where Dylan was reading the letters on the computer screen. I could read the little letters but my eyes were watering when I finished. Then I backed up to about where Dylan was,I had to squint to read the letters, and they were still blurry. My right eye seems a good bit worse than my left.

I feel better now knowing that Dylan's eyes are okay. I just hope that he takes his vision from his Daddy so he doesn't have the problems that I am starting to have.

No comments: